Monday 19 August 2013

The Help - Kathryn Stockett


I first heard of The Help when the film adaptation was made in 2011. Although I hadn't seen the film, I had heard amazing things about it, and when I saw that my sister was reading the book, I couldn't wait for her to finish so I could get my hands on it.

The Help is set in Jackson, Mississippi, and centers around three main characters, Aibileen Clark, Minnie Jackson and Skeeter Phelan. Aibileen and Minnie are black maids, working in white households, whilst Skeeter is a white university graduate living on her parents plantation.
The book focuses on the interactions between the employers and 'The Help' as well as the various relationships of Aibileen, Minnie and Skeeter. The plot also concentrates on Skeeter, and a book of testimonials from the maids that she is writing.

I really enjoyed the book, and thought it was really well written. Stockett wrote alternating chapters in each protagonist's voice, and I felt that she got the dialect and accents of each character spot on. The storyline was really compelling, and I was sad to finish reading. Aibileen is my favourite character, as she is wise and sensible, however I also love Minnie, who is sassy and funny. Skeeter is an interesting character, as she began the story much like her rich white friends, who had no idea what life was like for their maids, however through her friendships with Aibileen and Minnie, and writing her book, Skeeter begins to understand the hard and often horrible life of black people in the 1960's.

The story really made me think, and I can't wait to watch the film and see if it is as good as the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment